First Day of School

On my first day of school I woke up at 6am to get ready. It is quite humid so I typically wear my hair up in a bun when I go to school. I caught the bus a little earlier on the first day so that I could arrive at 7:50am to school. Luckily my first school is close to our apartment so it was about a 10 minute bus ride followed by a 3 minute walk to the school. Once I got to the school I had a shoe locker where I put my outdoor shoes and switch into my indoor shoes.

Once I had my indoor shoes on I headed to the teacher's room. I introduced myself to the principal and then the teachers. I had practiced a very short Japanese introduction to say to them. Once I had introduced myself to them, I waited in the principal's office until the opening ceremony at 8:35am. The opening ceremony for the first day of class took place in the school's gym. All the students were sitting on the floor while the teachers were standing up around the students. The principal was on the stage talking to the students. I had no idea what was being said. Things got a little more confusing when the principal unveiled a giant pumpkin on stage. Again I had no idea what was being said or what the pumpkin was for. There also seemed to be awards that were given out to select students.

Finally, it was my turn to go up on stage. Luckily, there were two other new Japanese teachers so I was not alone on the stage. They introduced themselves first and I introduced myself to the student body in very limited Japanese.

おはようございます
Ohayō gozaimasu.
Good Morning.
始めまして。
Hajimemashite.
Nice to meet you.*for first time*
私の名前は Gabriellaです。
Watashi no namae ha Gabriella desu.
My name is Gabriella.
Ms. Gabyと呼んでください。
Ms. Gaby to yonde kudasai.
Please call me Ms. Gaby.
Arizonaから来ました。
Arizona kara kimashita.
I am from Arizona.
よろしくお願いします。
Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
Please treat me well.

After all three of us introduced ourselves, three students came up on stage and they each greeted the three new teachers and welcomed us to the school. I was not expecting this and the student who welcomed me to the school did so in English. It was a very sweet surprise.

There are three English teachers at my Junior high school that I'll be working with in some lessons. They took me out for lunch and we went to a curry restaurant near the school on my first day. When they said curry, I thought Indian curry but it turns out there is Japanese curry. I ordered Japanese chicken curry. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo so will have to upload one next time I get it.

Once we were finished with lunch we headed back to school. Since it was the first day, students were testing and only had a half day. The teachers still had to stay for the full day and so did I. I was shown my desk in the teachers room with the students leaving early I had a bit of downtime and headed home at 4pm.
 

Comments